By Khalid Irshad Soofi
Media is a plural form of medium in mass communication, media refers to the basic means of mass communication, which aids in extending the latest news about education, sports, politics, entertainment and promotion of goods and services to a huge group of people in a short span, generally media is divided into three basic forms: Print, electronic and broadcast media.
In the modern world, media has become the most powerful source of information through which the whole world has become a global village. Media provides information about all walks of life and it is also playing a role in educating people via educational programs.
Nowadays, people can get information of any kind about the world without wasting any time or money by using this magical and powerful wand of media. Our lives are under the influence of media however we cannot deny the importance of media in the modern world. Media has facilitated people to get information, news and entertainment programs without making any special effort or wasting their energy.
Just within a wink, we can get millions of information about any country in the world. As everything has its advantages and disadvantages, the media has too. There are some advantages and disadvantages of media as mentioned below:
- It provides education to people via television and radio programs, people get to learn about health matters, environmental conservation, and much more.
- People acquire the latest news in a very short time. Distance is not a barrier. Media provides daily news to people and keeps them updated on the occurrence around the world.
- It enhances the hidden talent of the people. Through media platform their talents such as comedy, acting and singing.
- Children’s knowledge increases. It teaches children by presenting quiz programs, animal programs and so on.
- Radio is expedient as people do get small news and with a mobile phone, one can contact it.
- Great in promoting mass consumer products. The sale of a product can be improved by the media.
- Serves as a good source of entertainment. People get entertained through music and television programs.
- Television allows electronic duplication of information. Media decreases the production cost making mass education possible.
- Media leads to diffusion of different cultures. Media showcases different cultural practices.
- People around the world can easily understand each other and embrace their differences with the help of the media.
- It directs to individualism. People waste plenty of time on the internet and watching television. As a result, socialization with friends, family and neighbours is affected.
- There are some media stuffing that is not suitable for children. Restraining children’s access to such content can be difficult.
- Newspaper is geographically selective.
- Swell in advertisements on television and radio is making them less attractive.
- The possibilities of imposters, fraud and hacking on the internet are also devastating.
- Media can be addictive, e.g. some television programs and internet. This can lead to a decrease in people’s productivity.
- Health problems. Watching television for a long time can create eyesight problems and radio listening using earphones exposes one to possible hearing defects.
- It glamorizes drugs and alcohol.
- It can escort to personal injury. Some people decide to go behind the exploit that are showcased in the media. This can lead to injuries.
- It can escort to the ruin of reputation. It has become likely for one to create an anonymous account. Such accounts can be used for malicious reasons such as spreading rumours. This can lead to the ruin of reputation of an individual or a company.