Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) is a professional undergraduate program that helps in preparing students for working as teachers in various schools. This is the only remaining two years’ undergraduate program, however, same is available in semester system too. In Pakistan, the program is attached with additional tasks, such as, field work and research in the relevant field. It is offered across the globe, whereas, it was firstly also known as Bachelor of Training (BT) in some parts of the world. It is a program which shall be opted by those who are interested in pursuing a career in teaching. B.Ed is one of the most highly opted program using distant learning education universities.
Students who have science subjects background are generally trained to teach sciences subjects including Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. While students with arts stream are generally educated to teach subjects like Civics, History, Geography and other languages. B.Ed degree is preferred while selection of teachers is made in schools and colleges. However, in Pakistan, after the completion of required degree, individuals interested in teaching opt this degree. The students can also opt this program as a private student but in such case, they can only acquire two years’ program. B.Ed (two years’ program) can only be studied after graduation program.
Subjects or Topics studied during B.Ed
B.Ed has a vast course but the general themes on which the courses are developed or are the sub-divisions of following subjects:
- Education, Culture and Human Values
- Educational Evaluation and Assessment
- Educational Psychology
- Guidance and Counselling
- Holistic Education
- Philosophy of Education
Eligibility Criteria for B.Ed
- Students should have passed intermediate or bachelors (whatever the previous qualification is) with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognized higher education institute or educational board.
- Students need to pass the entry test of the university for which they are applying in which passing marks can range from 50% to 60%.
How to prepare for the entry test?
The students need to prepare themselves in five different areas on which the test is based. Universities, usually have a set pattern with keep on changing its questions, however, at the time of applying into those universities, one gets a sample of entrance test which is being conducted by the university. The past papers aren’t available for entrance tests but one can prepare themselves well in following areas for achieving success in those:
- General Knowledge (GK)
- Verbal Aptitude
- Teaching Aptitude
- Logical Reasoning
- Quantitative Aptitude
All of these areas are usually included in all sorts of competitive exams, therefore, internet can also serve the purpose of getting oneself prepared.
Employment Areas of B.Ed
The usual trend that appears in the minds of general public is that only schools are the places where these fresh graduates can apply and look for jobs. However, there are numerous areas in which graduates of B.Ed can explore job opportunities. All such areas are mentioned hereunder:
- Coaching centers
- Education consultancies
- Education department
- Home tuitions
- Private tuition centers
- Publishing houses
- Research and development agencies
- Schools and Colleges
Type of Jobs after B.Ed
Likewise, to the areas of employment, it is generally taken into account that only teaching jobs can be available after B.Ed. Nevertheless, there are multiple other job positions too for which B.Ed can apply and pursue their careers. The various types of jobs are as follow:
- Assistant Dean
- Content Writer
- Education Researcher
- Military Trainer
- Syllabus Designer
- Curriculum Reviewer
- Subject Specialist
How can B.Ed be beneficial?
- It teaches an individual to become a skilled person by acquiring the knowledge on generally accepted principles of learning and teaching.
- It broadens the horizons of the ones studying so that they are able to impart quality education to their students.
- It makes one as a responsible teacher, the profession that has satisfaction, security, recognition, earnings and yet flexible schedule.
- After B.Ed, students can also opt a Master degree in relevant field i.e. M.Ed, Masters of English etc.
Please select your education level:
Please select your degree level: