Bachelor of Commerce is an undergraduate degree program known with the name of B.Com. It is offered in numerous countries including Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, Pakistan and India but in some of the countries it is not offered anymore. B.Com provides students with a wide range of commerce subjects along with teaching of other skills. The courses are offered in the areas of accounting, finance, economics, statistics, business management, human resource and marketing. However, the program is available in two various options, one is a two-year program known as B.Com with other known as B.Com (Hons.) which is a four years’ program.
It is often taken into account that two years’ program is about to be shut down soon by the Higher Education Commission (HEC) as they want to encourage students for an honors program. This will help in bringing standardization among the degrees. B.Com (Hons.) is identically same to B. Com but the major difference that it has the level of understanding. It is a more advanced program in comparison to the two-year program and the horizon of courses offered is extensive and comprehensive. B.Com (Hons.), like all other degree programs also offers specialization during the last year of degree. B.Com (Hons.) is a four-year semester program but B.Com is two-year annual based program.
The other degrees which are similar to B.Com are as follows:
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor of Accounting and Finance (BS Accounting and Finance)
- Bachelor of Business and Information Technology (BBIT)
- Bachelor of Economics (B. Sc. Economics)
- Bachelor of Public Administration (BPA)
However, mostly students opt for B.Com as they are unclear about their future and it is a relatively affordable degree in comparison to all other professional degrees in similar subjects as mentioned above.
B.Com due to its huge numbers are offered by almost all the universities in Pakistan and a generic eligibility for this can be defined as follow:
- Students must have studied commerce during intermediate with subjects, such as, accountancy, business and economics
- Minimum 50% of marks at intermediate level
- Minimum 50% of marks in the entrance test of university applying for
B.Com can be completed by selecting an appropriate specialization as per the interest and desires of a student. The specializations which are offered by institutes are as follows:
- B.Com in Advertising and Sales: The students are taught about important aspects of advertising and sales as this can be beneficial for those who want to pursue their careers in sales.
- B.Com in Computer Applications: This educates students about the general computer concepts including software and website development along with basic commerce subjects.
- B.Com in E – Commerce: Students learn the art of online business with studying technicalities and procedures of doing it.
- B.Com in Office Management: This is a generic specialization in which students are taught about computer applications, office procedures communication skills and work ethics.
- B.Com in Taxation: It is essential for becoming tax professionals as all the basic regulatory framework is being taught.
Future Scope of B.Com
The students can opt for a Master’s degree but B.Com can also ensure the landing on certain jobs. Let us first examine, the set of jobs that are available for fresh graduates of B.Com and later on, we will have a look at future degrees that can be opted.
- Finance Officer
- Taxation Officer
- Business Executive
- Administration Officer
- E-Commerce Officer
- Sales Executive
- Data Entry Operator
The degrees which can be opted are as follow:
- M. Com
- Masters in Computer Sciences
There are multiple options available for students but it is advised to all the fresh graduates of B.Com to acquire professional accounting degrees as it can help them in succeeding in their professional lives. However, if the students are interested in other avenues including sales, office management or e-commerce, then they shall opt the relevant degrees out of which MBA can be the best option.
Please select your education level:
Please select your degree level: